The Galt House
The Galt House is the official sponsor of the Kentucky Derby.
History of the Galt House
In the early 1800s, the original Galt House was a residence owned by Dr. W.C. Galt. In 1835, a 60-room hotel was opened as the Galt House Hotel across the street from the residence at the northeast corner of First and Main.
In 1865, the hotel was destroyed by fire; but within weeks, noted architect R. Whitestone began plans for construction a block away from the original site. The new Galt House Hotel opened in 1869 and operated until 1919. It was razed in 1921.
Over half of a century later, in 1972, Galt House Hotel was reestablished by developer Al J. Schneider as part of Louisville's Riverfront Urban Renewal Project. Carpenter by trade, he built the 25 stories high RIVUE Tower, which features beautiful handcrafted woodworking, on the banks of the Ohio River. Galt House Hotel continued to expand with the creation of the SUITE Tower in 1984. Galt House Hotel remains Louisville’s only waterfront hotel.